It has been a while since I have updated our conversion story. That is because it is taking a long time. My husband and I are doing this while working our jobs and living a regular life. We had lofty goals at the start-thinking it would only take 2 months to be habitable. Well it has been four months now and our current goal is to be in the new place by the end of August.
The progress has been satisfying as of late. It is becoming more aesthetic and exciting rather than all infrastructure. Alas, let the photos speak for themselves-with a few comments for good measure.
We had a new floor professionally poured. The old one was very uneven. You can see the plumbing pipes sticking up waiting to be used. We had to wait two weeks for the contractor to be available which put a lot of work on hold. While waiting we began the build the storage lean to. That remains unfinished as we began work on the interior of the house. We can always finish to lean to after we move in.
We also installed a sliding patio door. We removed the outer siding and framed up the existing opening which was an overhead garage door.
Here you can see the interior framing and the overhead door still in place. It took 3 times as long as estimated to install this beauty. Everything has taken at least twice as long as estimated. But that is to be expected in construction, especially when you are doing it yourself.
My husband insisted on putting the old metal panels back-I wanted to put wood siding.
Yeah we are starting to see walls now.
The making of a pantry and a bathroom.
A word of advice here-bring the shower unit in BEFORE you install the sliding doors. We had to remove the door frame and fanagle the unit through the front door and it took a long time to get it. The irony of this is we ended up installing double doors for the front door and had a 6 foot opening to work with after the fact. Pictured here is the framing for a pocket door. The bathroom is small and the pocket door was the best choice. That took a few hours to install also. The shower is not completely installed yet. The directions call for a mortar bed to secure the bottom.
My job-decide where I want outlets and switches.
This is an overhead photo of the loft. We are having a 3-4 ft area above the bedroom and bathroom and utility room for storage and a guest room. We stayed in a cabin with a 4 ft loft this summer and our grandchildren loved it-and the adults thought it was fine too-so we decided it would work for us also. Of course we need railings and carpet to finish it. And paint and a ladder…
Our kitchen in the making. In our last weekly trip to the Habitat Restore we found these kitchen cabinets. SOLD! They fit very well and they are the style and color I want. We have bought most everything from Restore. The front doors. slider, vanity, cabinets, window, light fixtures, bathroom mirror, inside doors..um thatš all I can think of for now. We have saved thousand of dollars and found unique things.
Our front doors, which we finally finished-somewhat-last night. At least they are hung and balanced and close and lock up. We still have lots of trim to install.
Next up this week is the wiring and the installation of a bay window. More to come soon as the progress is picture worthy and tangible!